Friday, March 9, 2012

The "M" word: Emptying the Maverick

    I shook the bottle hard and the oil still demanded to separate from the vinegar. Thinking that somehow I am the master of marrying the two liquids, I try over and over again, but oil is stubborn and refusing to do anything, but co-exist.
Oh, those melding of flavors make my salad a symphony so I keep pursuing with passion the mixing dance to get just the right amount of EVVO and balsamic onto the salad.

I hate to admit that I am more oil than vinegar. Guilty of co-existing with God rather than remembering that as a child of God, Christ is "mixed" in as He dwells in my heart.

I can be such a maverick. Always thinking separately from God. I think I have these great ideas only to find out they are not God's ideas. Well, today, I am continuing my mission of radical obedience to the Lord and I am emptying this maverick of its power. I am working to quit trying to make God use me and my ideas. 


It is yes, Lord. I am honored that you are asking "me" to do that.



Around here we write for five minutes flat on Fridays.
We lie down in our words and make snow angels.We try to remember what it was like to just write without worrying if it’s just right or not.
Be brave, come & join #FiveMinuteFriday. Your words are necessary! (<—Tweet this!)

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.
OK, are you ready? Give us your best five minutes on:
::

Empty…

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh this morning, Dionne! I love the analogy of oil and vinegar, and how we can be guilty of co-existing rather than going all into the mix.

    I, too, have been on a journey of obedience and major changes in my life this past year, and my OneWord turned out to be "Follow". Funny thing about God reminding me what I need to be focusing on....

    I hope you find the tremendous abundance of joy and freedom that awaits within the structure of obedience. I am regularly blown away by the ideas and direction that He provides that is always much better than I could have planned.

    A good book for artists is The Creative Call, by Janice Elsheimer. It's all about letting go of the starving artist within and embracing God. She writes, "Our gifts are not from God to us, but from God through us to the world."

    Happy trails to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! My favorite dressing is EVOO and balsamic, but I prefer more vinegar. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me. I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...