Friday, March 2, 2012

The "M" word: Meek

  I am challenging myself to 15 posts on "M" words. That is about half of a normal month. Wish me luck!

Here is my second "M" word: Meek

Meek isn't weakness. It isn't too submissive or spineless. But, we are told those lies. Especially men. 
Most people seem to look down on meekness.  

I always thought meekness meant a gentle, peaceful spirit. Somewhat true.
BUT...
The man of faith said, "Did you know that meek means to endure injury with patience and without resentment?" (Also found in Merriam Webster's Online Dictionary)

Nope. No I didn't. Whoa! Wait...I haven't done that much in my life. 

Most dictionaries (my own and online) I looked at referred to meek as a spirit without courage. Not strong. Not violent and too submissive.
Okay, being a doormat is no good. However, when did gentleness become negative? Couldn't our world use more gentle spirits?

When did being stoic during tragedy become the norm?  
  We are called to be meek. Humble per say. Not an easy task since pride is our greatest obstacle to those attributes. 

So what does it mean to endure injury with patience and without resentment if it means being no ones' doormat or if it means physical injury or disappointment?
                     
Meekness is when in her own pain, her own cancer, she reached out and stroked my head to comfort me after I lost my mom.

 It is understanding that accidents happen. Physical injuries occur. Seeing it as a chance to slow down. Being thankful that you are still alive. It is usually temporary and healing usually comes.

Knowing that when God doesn't answer a prayer the way you want, it doesn't mean He isn't listening or that He doesn't care.

To love and forgive someone when they injure your feelings by accident.  

It is a humble spirit with gentle action when cut-off in traffic, misunderstood, told bad news.

Meekness is the opposite of control, domination, manipulation and intimidation.

Meekness is not celebrated in this world. It isn't selfish. It isn't all about me.
Jesus was the greatest example of this for He endured the cross without retaliation or resentment. 
He was meek. He was meek for us!   

Let us pray to be more meek.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me. I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...