Thursday, March 8, 2012

The "M" word: Mouth

1. Whoops...write about a time you put your foot in your mouth...


I don't know if this qualifies, but I asked a question that was a "put your foot in your mouth moment."

So I was in college. Waiting in line to pay for ridiculously overpriced items. The checker was an older woman, maybe 38 to 40 at the most. 
So here is my brilliant question, "When are you due?" 
Yep, you know what's coming. She looked at me with such disgust and said, "I am not pregnant."

I was mortified and embarrassed to say the least! In my defense, her abdomen was the tear-dropped shape of typical pregnant bellies. She was not really overweight anywhere else. 

Then again, I did ask a terribly non-of-your-business question. That's what I get for making a false assumption. 
So now, as you might of guessed, I've learned my lesson. I don't ask that question anymore!!! I have curtailed my curiosity and watched my assumptions. 


Oh, the mouth...it can drip honey or poison. 

Too much talk leads to sin,
Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.
Proverbs 10:19 -NLT

Uh-huh...still learning that one.


2 comments:

  1. You are definitely not the only person to ever make that mistake. I came really close to doing it once to a lady who used to do my hair but didn't and thank God I didn't because she was NOT pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Diane. You are not alone on that one. But I love how you tie this experience with the mistake we've all made at some point ~ making assumptions based on what we can see with our eyes. Such an important lesson for us all to remember.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me. I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...