Thursday, February 7, 2013

How I came up with my kid's names

Linking up at Mama Kat's today, go here

PROMPT: 
#5. Share how you came up with your kids names!


I have two sons. Schafer and Grant. I always thought I would be a mom to at least one girl. So of course I had girl names in mind, but obviously I don't have a choice about whether my child will possess a banana and berries or just a peach.

So after the ultrasound, I was a bit stunned. Okay, a little disappointed for like a minute. Honestly, I was excited just to have a healthy child so really it didn't matter-EXCEPT for the name. For the next three months, hubby and I did the What about...? NO!...that reminds me of so and so name dance. And I wish I could tell you that I was the genius who gloriously presented the name to my hubby. Nope. Hubby beat me to it! Schafer's name is a common last name and yes, you guessed it my dear spouse liked the way it sounded and asked me about it. I truly did love it. Unique, but not to the point of being made fun of.
 And we were cruel enough to keep the name from everyone until the day our sweet boy was born. Hey, at least everyone knew he was a he.

As far as Grant, well we did the same name dance and I stole his name from my cousin whose middle name is Grant. I was the brilliant one this time. His name is strong, simple and again not one that can lead to torturous roll calls in school. 

So there ya have it...and the lesson is that we are both super adept at picking names. 

1 comment:

  1. LOL at the bananas/peach analogy. I have one son and one daughter (thought I would have 2 sons!), and when my daughter came out (she was a surprise) the doctor said, "Well it's a hamburger, not a hot dog!" So funny.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me. I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...