Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Lefty: How Albert Einstein and I are similar

I am a south paw. I know, I know, some people find this intriguing. However, in some countries if I did something with my left hand I would be considered unclean and or possibly thrown in jail! Thank goodness I live in America where I can freely be a lefty.

Sometimes I like this unique part of me where supposedly only about 10% of the population uses their left hand dominantly. I was raised by right-handed parents so technically I am ambidextrous because I cut food with a knife in my right hand, and I tie my shoe like a right-handed person would. I do bat, golf, eat and write with my left all the time.

Then, as labels and stereotypes go there are pitfalls to being a lefty. Desks and notebooks frustrate me. Religion, social and cultural situations and beliefs have linked my handness with the devil, with being backwards, and I annoy right handed people at the table since our elbows touch if we sit next to each other. Even the the word left in English comes from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, which means weak or broken.

Yet, famous people like Albert Einstein, Beethoven, Leonardo da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin,and Mark Twain were left handed.  In Judges 20:16 NKJV, the tribe of Benjamin had seven hundred left-handed fighting men who could "sling a stone at a hair's breadth and not miss."
So I don't keep the worst company.

I wonder why that biblical detail was included? Who knows. What I do know is that as a society we really judge what inconveniences us, what we don't understand, and what others have taught us without seeking out the truth for ourselves. Somehow we go on quests to fix what isn't always broken or to change others to fit to our liking. I know because I am guilty of this and labels and stereotypes.

What I love about our God (well, too numerous to list) is that he teaches contrary to humans. Jesus, while on earth, demonstrated love without judgment to EVERYONE. Sure, he pointed out the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, but telling the truth isn't necessarily judgement. He taught us to love one another not agree with everything or like or understand what others do. Love. 

What God is changing in my heart?...there's a heightened awareness of and a decrease in false assumptions and perceptions. I am going beyond tolerance and religion. I am seeing a deeper understanding of His love. Looking beyond what the outside shows or says or does. Seeing past flaws or supposed perfection. "Love", He gently whispers.

And I do...and it feels right and I see the freedom it brings...you are free to be you (lefty or not) and I am free to be me and we let God do the rest.

1 comment:

  1. Dionne, this is a great analogy...These lines resonated with me, "telling the truth isn't necessarily judgement. He taught us to love one another not agree with everything or like or understand what others do."

    God is urging us all to look past labels, I think. (At least He is with me.)
    Nice work, lefty.


    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me. I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...