Monday, October 29, 2012

31 Days to Grace (Day 29): in the grieving


Grief. Not a fun word. No one wants to add it to their resume. "So I see here that you have 15 years of experience in grief. Can you elaborate briefly on that?" Briefly, well, really that is hard to do.

 So I will tell you that this isn't a blog written so you will feel sorry for me. I really want to convey hope. Because there is hope in our Savior, Jesus. He is where we should focus our grief when it comes.
AND...
 It does come. And it will come.

Today, they aren't here. Their faces, laughter, voices only captured in pieces of photos or videos. In memorabilia that I clutch in my hands.  I CAN still smell her (my Mamaw) in the sewing machine as I finish the boys' costumes.  My mother's scent still lingers in the leather jacket upstairs.
My hubby proudly wore his grandpa's boots yesterday at church. I hold onto to cross-stitches and sweaters (Elsie) and guitar picks (Papaw's) thinking this preserves their memories.
    It does a little bit.  It honors their presence in our lives.
6 years ago, I lost my mom and her mom (my Mamaw) and before that my Papaw, Aunt Sherri, and a close friend. 

And in those losses, I grew distant and then closer to God. There was doubt, anger, disbelief, vats of tears, plenty of whys and mounds of shock. Temptations to drown in my sorrows the way the world does. I couldn't eat sometimes. Okay, yes, I tried chocolate, coffee, and other sorted distractions. These only brought temporary relief, but sometimes those are needed for some sanity.

Yet, I held onto Jesus and in a needed act of grace, came the understanding that as I drew near to him, He drew near to me and there was hope. Not necessarily answers, but understanding, mercy. I still hurt, but so does God for me. He gently used others to bring support and prayers and he gave me these verses:
Psalm 6:6-7
Lamentations 3: 20-24, 31-32
And in the life of my first born son there was hope of those whom I love and lost continuing and a legacy emerging.

Then there is this song and it says it all...In my sweet brokeness came the priceless gift of understanding that Jesus understands ultimate suffering and in my tragedy came a deeper knowing of our beautiful, loving God. 



Linking up with Jen at SDG

7 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful reminder of the hope we have in the cross. Something I desperately need to cling to every singe day lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray that He brings you the encouragement you need. So glad that I am getting to know you.

      Delete
  2. Such transparency and authenticity in your words ... "vats of tears". I've filled a few myself. Hugs to you and thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dionne,
    Have you read the book "A Grace Disguised" by Jerry Sittzer. It is a wonderful book on loss. I have read it many times and often give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the honest revealing of the struggle and for shining your light on the hope that is ours in Christ.
    beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda always has amazing book recommendations. As one who experienced profound grief after the loss of my grandmother, I just want to thank you for continuing to talk about your own struggles with grief.

    I have many things that were my grandmother's. Perhaps I will hold one today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard for me to even think about going fishing because it's what me and my grandpa used to do. He LOVED fishing. I have a pillow that my friend made out of my son's recieving blanket that I got to hold him in for an hour before he went home. Oh yes I understand....I have years of experience in greif too. Love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me. I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...